The Q&A Archives: Diseased Grapes

Question: My grapes wither and die on the vine. What can prevent this from happening? I spray them every spring with CAPTAN every two weeks.

Answer: There are several reasons for grapes to do this, and in order to be effective the spray program must be geared to diseases prevalent in your local area, the type of grapes you are growing, and the weather each year. To find out the most up to date spray regime and timing recommened in your local area, you should contact your local County Extension (774-3003). Good cultural practices including proper pruning will help. In addition, be very careful to clean up, remove and destroy any prunings this winter as well as to clean up any fallen fruit and foliage as they occur during the year. This will help reduce the chances of reinfection from year to year.