The Q&A Archives: Dividing Hosta

Question: How should I divide hosta plants? They are about 24 inches in diameter. When is the best time to do this?

Answer: You can divide hostas in the spring or in the fall. The plants develop a large, sturdy rootmass which is not easily divided. I divide mine by first digging and washing the soil off, then separating the rootmass by placing the blade of a spade in the middle and stepping down hard. Do this as many times as practical, into as many divisions as you can, making sure each division retains one or two stems. If you divide in the spring, just make sure each division has one or two pips (potential stems and foliage). Replant each division so it's at the same level as the plant was growing before. I always amend the soil with lots of organic matter before replanting.