The Q&A Archives: Window Boxes

Question: I have a green 12 foot window box on a green house. What can I put in it for the cold winters to liven up the house, need some color or something.

Answer: I am not sure if the window box is inside the greenhouse or on the outside. Based on your question I am guessing it is on the outside. It is difficult to plant a window box with live plants during the winter because the roots are exposed to so much cold. You might think about using a seasonal display of pansies or cabbages in the fall, switch to pumpkins and cut bittersweet or grape branches in late fall, then evergreen boughs and bright berries for winter, then possibly some bright and cheerful wooden hearts and tulips for very early spring. Soon you will be able to do pansies, snapdragons and other cool weather annuals to bring you up to the general season. This way you have a changing display throughout the year.