The Q&A Archives: Lime Tolerance of Tomatoes

Question: How much lime is too much for eggplant? My eggplant crop started to go south the year I applied lime in my garden, its been so for about 5 years now.I have added compost and chemical fertilizer to the soil. The eggplant is yellowish and stunted. Pleasehelp. Thanks. Willy Tab Dresher, PA

Answer: Eggplants like a pH betweeen 6.5 and 7.0. As long as your pH is in that range they should be fine. The yellowing and stunting of the plants could be due to Verticillium wilt in the soil. Trying growing some in containers with fresh potting soil this summer and see if they do any better. After five years if you haven't planted any eggplant family crops such as tomatoes and peppers, then you should be able to try again planting eggplant in the garden.