The Q&A Archives: Growing Sweeter Pineapple

Question: I have no problem growing the top of a pineapple and having it produce fruit. The problem is the taste. It is not sweet but is rather flat and not too palatable. Is there a fertilizer I can use or should the soil be specially prepared, or what?

Answer: There are no tricks to it that I know of, except making sure the fruit is truly ripe when you pick it and possibly selecting a variety you think tastes good -- some are naturally sweeter than others. General culture would include a deeply dug soil that is very well drained but has ample organic matter added, a slightly acid pH, and adequate water while the fruit is forming. Full sun is mandatory and protection from temperatures under 28 is also a good idea. For more in depth information about pineapples you might find this web page interesting.