The Q&A Archives: Elk Browsing on Butterfly Bush

Question: I have a butterfly bush that the local Elk like to nibble on in the spring can you give me any hints on how to protect it without hurting the Elk?

Answer: Short of a tall fence or an electric fence, there are no guarantees for keeping wildlife from foraging in your garden. You can try a few tricks and see how they work. There's a motion-senstive device that shoots water called the Water DeFence. If you don't own a dog, borrow one from a friend a few days per week to stroll around the property - the scent may be enough to keep them away. Deer-Off is a concentrate of spoiled egg solids that has had success in some gardens. Wild animals are smart, and they'll learn to work around your tricks, unless you use a combination of them and vary them often. Your county extension office (ph#360/740-1212) may be able to offer you other advice, and should be able to supply you with plans for fences if you need to take that route. Hope this helps!