The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Dahlias

Question: I have dahlias and peonies planted in the middle of my backyard. I would like to move them to a different location if that is possible. What do I do? Thanks. Lori

Answer: The best time to move your dahlias and peonies is before they start growth in the spring. The dahlia is a grab a shovel and dig it up. Dig a hole at the new site and plant the tuber at the same depth it was previously. The peony is a bit moreinvolved since it has a crown. Water first and wait about an hour. This helps keep the soil around the root ball. Using your shovel, dig about 5 inches away from the crown all the way around. Lift the root ball of the plant out with your shovel and carry it to the new site if it's not too heavy. If it is, then lift it onto a tarp and have someone help you carry it. Be sure that you plant the peony at the same depth it was in the old spot....if you plant it deeper then it won't bloom.