The Q&A Archives: Are Morning Glories Invasive?

Question: I live in Sonora, California and as a child, morning glories were considered a tenacious and invasive weed, strangling everything in their path, to be rid of at all cost. I see some really pretty varieties in the catalogs and wonder if something has changed and if they are controllable now. I would love to plant some but am fearful I will regret it. I planted horseradish once and it became impossible to control. Thanks for any info.

Answer: The morning glories which are tenacious weeds in California (mostly Ipomoea acuminata) are not the same species as the annual varieties offered in our catalog. Our morning glories are strictly annuals (Ipomoea nil) and require no more than yanking down the stems at the end of the season. And it sounds like you just weren't eating enough horseradish.