The Q&A Archives: Growning Nandina In Michigan

Question: Can Nandinas be grown in Michigan? I brought one back from Mississippi and am growning one now indoors, and also have one outdoors that survived last winter here in snowy Michigan. We did have a somewhat mild winter, and the Nandina did survive, but my ? to you is... what care should I give to these Nandinas?

Answer: Nandina domestica, or heavenly bamboo, might be marginal in your zone 6 gardening region. The plants are evergreen to semideciduous, depending upon exposure. The new foliage is red, then turns from dark to light green; full sun brings out best coloring. Provide moist, fertile, well-drained soil; full sun to heavy shade, afternoon shade is best in hot summer climates, and moderate water.

Nandina is used as a hedge, screen, container, or bonsai.
Expect the plant to lose leaves at 10 degrees F., and lose stems at -12 degrees F. Once established it will recover quickly, developing new stems and folige.