The Q&A Archives: Nerve Plant

Question: I purchased three small plants of the same species yesterday. The people at the nursery told me it was called a nerve plant. The plants are small and have 1-2" leaves that are dark green with white veins. The stem is short and stalk-like. The plant itself is about 4-6" tall. This is a very small but very common plant which I have seen in nurseries. Could you help me identify its botanical name? I could not even find the common name (nerve plant) in any gardening books or online sources. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Answer: Fittonia argyroneura is the Nerve Plant. It's a houseplant and there are several cultivars. Sounds like you may have the mosaic nerve plant. Fittonia can be difficult to grow and requires a medium light intensity. Keep the soil evenly moist and the temperatures above 55 degrees. Nerve Plant requires high humidity. Small plants grown in terrariums may give the best results. Hope this helps answer your question!