The Q&A Archives: Growing Magnolia from Seed

Question: Can I grow magnolia trees from seed? I have a tree that has lots of cones but I can't seem to make them grow. It would make my day if someone could tell me the secret. Thanks. Glenn Edmiston Ontario Canada

Answer: Remove the seeds from the "cone". The easiest method is to sow them in the fall in the ground 1/4 inches deep. Mulch the beds to prevent freezing of the seed and don't remove the mulch until all danger of frost has past in the spring. The young seedlings will need half shade during much of the first summer. The other method is to place the seed in a small amount of slightly moistened vermiculite in a plastic container and then placed in the refrigerator for 3-6 months. Remove and sow in media.