The Q&A Archives: Landscaping with Trees

Question: I have a new residence, and we want to plant trees and shrubs. Our soil consists of a lot of clay, and we are also on a hill so we have some high wind. We do have good drainage. What trees or shrubs do you suggest for us to order. Thanks. Libby Hay Maysville, KY

Answer: I hesitate to recommend trees or shrubs for your site because they are major architectural elements in the landscape. Unlike herbaceous plants (they die back every year), trees and shrubs contribute to the overall look of your property and need to be considered carefully. I suggest you consult a local nursery and landscape designer. What you plant depends on your tastes and what function you want for the plants. Many trees and shrubs would do well in your environment.