The Q&A Archives: Poisonous Poinsettias

Question: My daughter and I are having a dispute re: poinsettias and if they are poison to cats and dogs I heard are the garden dr. this is a myth who is right.

Answer: It's a myth that poinsettias are highly poisonous. Although the plants are not especially poisonous (they might cause a stomach upset), some people find the sap is extremely irritating to the skin so it is wise to be cautious around the plant. They are also often sprayed to control pests and the residue from that could possibly be harmful if eaten.

If ever you have a question about a possible poisoning to people, please call your local
poison control number right away! They are open 24 hours.
They can tell you immediately if there is something to worry
about and what to do.

Please teach children not to eat ANY plant unless an adult
says it's okay and prevent pets from eating house plants. Many common plants are poisonous -- including the very commonly grown philodendrons -- and
even if the plant is a vegetable and it is not poisonous in and
of itself it may have been sprayed with something that is
poisonous. You just never know.

With regard to plants poisonous to animals, you may find
this Cornell University site helpful but again,
vigilance and a call to the veterinarian are very important.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"