The Q&A Archives: Planting An Avocado Seed

Question: I recently purchased an avocado from the store. When I opened it, the seed already had a brown sprouting of some kind on the large end. I would like to see if I can plant this seed, but I've heard you have to plant in a certain way.

Answer: You can grow an interesting houseplant from your avocado pit. Take three toothpicks and insert them opposite of each other about halfway between the top (pointy end) and the bottom (flat end) of each pit. These will be used to suspend the pit in a glass of water. Place the skewered avocado pit in a glassful of water so the top is above the water and the bottom half is in the water. The pit will crack and grow roots and then send a shoot up out of the top. When the shoot develops two leaves, plant the pit in a pot with regular potting soil. It will continue to grow and provide nice greenery.