The Q&A Archives: Pruning Foxglove

Question: This is the first time I have owned foxglove. They are planted in a wine barrel and are beautiful. Now that the flowers have dropped off, the large stalks remain. Should I prune these? If so, do I trim them back to the base where the leaves start? It's November in Northern California, starting the rainy season.

Answer: Foxgloves can be biennial or perennial, depending upon type. Biennial foxgloves grow vegetatively the first year and flower the second year. Then they die. Some foxgloves act as perennials, though, and will continue to develop flower stalks year after year. Wait until frost nips the foliage of your foxgloves, then cut the stalks down to soil level. With any luck at all, new stalks and flowers will appear next spring.

I hope that's the case for you!