The Q&A Archives: Growing Eucalyptus

Question: I am growing eucalyptus outside in Northern New Jersey. Will it survive the winter, or should I take it in the house?

Answer: Your plant won't survive the winter weather in your gardening region. Eucalyptus grown as a houseplant require cool to mildly warm temperatures. Shoot for a range of 45-55F in the winter. They like bright light, some direct sun is beneficial. Water sparingly in the winter. From spring to fall try to not to let the soil dry out, but be careful not to overwater. Humidity is not important to this plant, you shouldn't need to mist it. Eucalyptus should be repotted in the spring every year. To keep growth in check, you can pinch out the new tip growth as needed. Outdoors, most eucalyptus are hardy to about 25-30 degrees F. That's about USDA Zone 9. Many, too, can be grown as one-season annuals, long enough to produce a different and exciting accent in the flower border.