The Q&A Archives: Soilless Hanging Pots

Question: I have had problems with mid summer wilt in my hanging pots and barrels of impatients and New guinea.I normally plant with Vinca in hanging and Spikes in barrels . My garden center suggests a soilless mixture next year for better drainage etc . Could you give me the make-up of the mix?

Answer: Sure. You can purchase commercially prepared potting soil, or make your own soilless potting mixture by combining 1/2 cubic yard of sphagnum peat moss, 1/2 cubic yard of vermiculite, 5 pounds dolomitic lime, 1 pound superphosphate, 2 pounds of 5-10-5 fertilizer. Mix all ingredients together well, and moisten just before use. Or, if you'd rather have an organic based soilless product, mix together 16 quarts sphagnum peat moss, 16 quarts vermiculite, 7 ounces bone meal, 3 1/2 ounces dried blood meal, and 3 1/2 ounces ground limestone. Mix well and moisten just before use.