The Q&A Archives: Germinating Gerbera Daisy Seed

Question: I have been trying to grow a gerbera daisy from seed and I'm having problems. Should I do anything special to the seeds before I plant them? Also, how can I propagate a new plant from an old one? Thanks! Christy Klotz Austin, TX

Answer: It is important that you use fresh seed (seed that has not been allowed to dry out). Surface sow and press into the media. Put under lights and keep at 70-75 degrees F. Start 12 weeks before planting out. Germination should occur in 15-30 days. You candivide existing plants in the summer or autumn or take cuttings in the summer, placing them in a soilless mix, misted and kept moist. In southern zones (zone9) where it will overwinter, division can be done carefully in the spring.