The Q&A Archives: Storing Pumpkin Seeds

Question: I received some giant pumpking seeds from a large pumpkin. What do I do with them before I plant them outside in the spring. Should I dry them out or put them in soil in the house? I have had them a couple of weeks and I first let them dry and then I put them in soil.

Answer: Seeds should be dried completely on sheets of newspaper for a week or so, wiping off pulp, etc. Store seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator until planting next year.

However, be aware that seed from hybrid plants will not mature identical to the parent plant. (A hybrid plant is produced by cross pollinating two different parent plants.) Hybrid plants are labeled as such on seed packets and in catalog descriptions. Good luck!