The Q&A Archives: English Formal Garden

Question: What is the history and some facts about English Formal Gardens? Please help me, I have looked everywhere on facts and history of the English Formal Gardens. I found nothing, but then I came across your website and I thought that you may be able to help me. I truly appreciate the time that you spend reading my letter and answering. Any advice that you have to offer will help me out tremendously. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your answer.

Answer: The history of English gardening is a long and somewhat convoluted one in that it reflects many influences over the centuries. John Brookes "The Book of Garden Design" ISBN 0-02-516695-6 starts out with a good brief history of the major influences as does "Garden Design: History, Principles, Elements, Practice" ISBN 0-671-47993-8. Both of these are nicely illustrated. Any basic text on landscape architecture should give you a good introduction as well.

Sisely Garden Tours offers an interesting listing of people (and gardens they created) with links to more detail about some of them. This might help bring it to life and give you a start at recognizing the major names.