The Q&A Archives: Can Persimmons Be Grown At Sea Level In The Tropics?

Question: I would like to grow persimmons on my property in Costa Rica. My land is of mederate fertility is at sea level, and receives about 100 inches of rain from April 15 to December 1 and very little rain from December 1 to April 15. Tempertues are relatively consistant throughout the year and range from 90 degrees during the day to 65 degrees at night. Are there varities of persimmon that I could sucessfully grow here and how do I go about doing it?

Answer: Your limiting factor will be temperature. Persimmons, like many fruits, need a certain number of "chill hours" to produce fruit (45 degrees F/7 degrees C). Asian persimmons need at least 100 to 400 chilling hours, and can go up to 1000 to bear crops. However, persimmons in south Florida fruit poorly.