The Q&A Archives: Brambleberries in the Southwest

Question: Living in the desert Southwest I would like to plant some raspberries which I so enjoyed years ago when living on Long Island in NY. Can I still have raspberries here in Albuquerque and, if so, does Burpee have appropriate stock that I can purchase??

Answer: Raspberries typically aren't acclimated to hot dry summer climates. However, blackberries can perform in our conditions. Some blackberry varieties that did well in research tests by the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension for the desert are Rosborough, Brison, and Womack. Some varieties that were introduced by the University of Arkansas did not do well in testing, and it was determined that there wasn't enough hours of chilling (i.e., it doesn't get cold enough, for long enough) in the desert. However, you are at a higher elevation in ABQ, and some of them may perform for you. Arapaho is one of those, and Burpee does carry it. I suggest you check with a full service nursery or your County Cooperative Extension office to see which varieties perform best in your area. 1510 Menaul NW, ABQ, 243-1386. Good luck!