The Q&A Archives: Dying Ivy Plants

Question: I have several Ivy plants that are turning brown and dying. A few have already died, and I have replaced them, but the new ones are doing the same thing. My house is usually about 69 degrees and I water them regularly. What can I do to keep them healthy?

Answer: Ivy usually thrives indoors, especially if the light is bright and temperatures are warm. I suspect you may be overwatering your plants. Ivy needs less water than most houseplants. You can safely allow the soil to almost dry out between waterings. Ivy, and all houseplants, require less water in the wintertime because they're not growing as actively as in the spring and summertime. Try allowing the soil to dry out a bit before you water your plants, and they should rebound.