The Q&A Archives: Horticultural Technician

Question: What is a horticultural technician? Is it the same as a licenced horticulturist? I cannot find this answer anywhere on the internet. Please help if possible.

Answer: While it is possible that your state might have licensing requirements to distinguish between the two, there are no nationally standardized titles/job descriptions that I am aware of. In fact, many states do not license these at all. Instead, schools may offer programs with different names or titles applied to them and employers may use their own version of titles like this to distinguish between skill levels. Again, this is not standardized. You may find that your state Nurserymen's Association or the equivalent offers a certification/testing program for several levels of expertise which would offer some type of measured skill levels. I would make a wild guess that a technician is someone who posesses a special skill such as taking cuttings or pruning nursery plants and does that exclusively. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Captivating Caladiums"