The Q&A Archives: Vines for Hot Sun

Question: Our home faces south and I want to plant moonflowers or morning glories along the iron work and flower beds on that side. We get hot summer winds from the south/southeast one day and from the west the next, plus days with the temperature in the high 90's. What are the best and hardiest of these flowers that will be FAST GROWING? What type of soil, fertilizer and watering is best under these conditions to get large blooms? I want to be able to give shade to a walkway.

Answer: Moonflowers are available in only one form, and as far as I know all of the climbing morning glories grow at about the same rate. They will grow fastest with warm temperatures, ample water and at least average fertility. The vines grow relatively quickly but unfortunately the flowers generally don't start until mid to late summer no matter what you do. If you need shade you might consider adding trellis in removable panels so you can enjoy the sun during the winter but have shade in the summer.