The Q&A Archives: Stress Wheel

Question: I am doing a science fair project regarding overcrowding of radish seeds. Do you have any information regarding a stress wheel? My grandfather farms, and he was telling me about a stress wheel that was devised to show the effects of overcrowding when planting corn seeds.

Answer: Unfortunately I am not familiar with that particular format (perhaps because I am not a farmer growing corn commercially). Common sense however would say there is a certain proximity where competition between individual plants is not overpowering and therefore the optimum spacing between plants can be determined. This could be visually portrayed as circles of various diameters surrounding each plant. Your County Extension should have lots of information about commercial corn growing and might be able to show you such a thing. Their telephone number in Marion County is 387-2260.