The Q&A Archives: Caring for Hibiscus

Question: I have several pots of hibiscus plants that I took I took inside for the winter. They did well and are beginning to develop new leaves and buds. When am I supposed to put them back outside, and how? Should they be planted in the ground? I had them in pots last year, but now their roots are getting really long. Larger pots would be quite cumbersome to handle. I live in Chattanooga, TN, is it possible to plant them outside and leave them there? L Armenti Chattanooga, TN

Answer: If your hibiscus is the houseplant type (basically a tropical plant), then they can't be left outdoors all winter long. You can place them, pot and all, outside in a month or so after the last frost date (early May), for the summer and they'll grow fine. Just bring them in this fall. Keep them well watered, fertilized and in a location with at least 4-6 hours of sun a day.