The Q&A Archives: Cactus Name

Question: I've read all the questions about cacti,and I realized, I don't know what kind of cactus I have. My daughter picked it out at Home Depot and it didn't have a name or care instructions.It's been growing but I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right to take care of it.The best description I can give you is,it looks like a prickly pickle. I repotted it in a slightly larger pot than the one from the store(from a 3" to a 4" pot). Do all cacti produce flowers,and with the description I gave, can you tell if my daughter's is the blooming kind?

Answer: Eventually all happy healthy cactus bloom, but since it can take many years and ideal growing conditions for them to do so there is no way to tell if yours will bloom or not. Many of the "blooming" cactus we see have flowers glued on. Once it has reached maturity, to try to force bloom you'll need to give it a simulated dry, cool winter rest period (about two months at about 50 to 55 degrees or even a bit cooler so they go dormant) followed by a "spring" where they are warmed and watered again. Do be careful not to overwater yours, especially since it was recently repotted.