The Q&A Archives: Basic Lawn Care

Question: A question about lawn care. I plan to rake, roll, reseed, and feed my yard. In what order should I do this? Can I reseed after feeding or before. And any advice about getting rid of a thatch problem. Thank you. Rick Reichard Hartford, OH

Answer: First you want to till and condition the soil in your lawn by adding about 1-2 inch layer of compost. Roll it to even out the soil, rake it to loosen the soil, then reseed and roll again. Water it well and mulch the area with hay or straw. If you want to just rake and reseed patches, just loosen the soil enough to plant seed, topdress with 1" of compost, seed and keep well watered. Thatch buildup is a problem inthat it limits the sun, water and nutrients getting to the plant roots. Raking is a good idea each spring to remove this dead grass and let the sun shine in!!!