The Q&A Archives: Indoor Hibiscus Care

Question: I moved a hibiscus tree that thrived outdoors , indoors for the winter. Since the move about two months ago, the tree is losing leaves and looks as if there is no hope. I fertilize with Miracle Grow just as I did this summer when the plant was outside. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

Answer: It sounds like your hibiscus is protesting the move. In some cases a slow and gradual transition during early fall can head off the leaf drop. The most common reasons for a hibiscus to lose its
leaves are: the soil being too dry (or too sopping wet), lack of humidity, drafts (either hot or cold) or an insect problem. Also, they should only be fertilized during spring and summer when they are in active growth. Finally, you will find that it need less water while it slows down for winter and then will need more again when it kicks back into growth in the spring. Good luck with your plant!