The Q&A Archives: Early Vegetables for Helena Montana

Question: I live in Helena, MT. One of my four apple trees has been diagnosed with fire blight. The local nursery sold me some sort of antibiotic to spray the tree with. And I carefully pruned away as many of the diseased areas as possible. What do I do this spring to ensure the blight doesn't return? Also, could you recommend some early varieties of the common garden vegetables. I usually plant corn, peas, bush beans, winter squash, and cucumbers.

Answer: I would suggest continuing a spray program for this spring, using a fixed copper spray or agricultural Streptomycin (Agrimycin). Spray at 4-5 day intervals during the flowering season. Corn Early Choice, Pea Maestro, Bean French Filet, Bean Tenderpod, Squash Lakota, Squash Eat-It-All, Cucumber Big Burpless.