The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover For Sand

Question: I have property along the Delaware River in n.e. PA. One section of the land behind my house is a sand bank. I mean like being at the beach sand. I would like to know if there is an evergreen ground cover that will grow in sand. Its a fairly steep bank and gets partial to full sun. I would preferr a low growing cover if possible. Any help at all would be great.

Answer: To be honest I would be very concerned about planting anything in the riverbank -- you might want to check with your local soil conservation and water quality officials before you make any plans for that area. Your County Extension may also be able to alert you to possible methods of dealing with the bank. Their telephone number in Pike County is 296-3400.