The Q&A Archives: Squirrels Digging Potted Plants

Question: I have two potted dwarf Alberta spruce trees on my front porch. Almost every night when I arrive home, I find the mulch and soil dug up and thrown all over the porch. They dig very deep---enough to expose the roots of the trees and disturb the roots. I think squirrels are the culprits, but I can't be sure. How can I get the pests to let my plants alone before they destroy them?

Answer: Probably the easiest solution is to place a barrier between the soil and the creatures who are responsible for digging it up. Chicken wire or hardware cloth, or even bird netting placed over the soil surface and tightly secured will keep the critters from digging the soil. Eventually the pests will find a better place to dig and will leave your spruce trees alone.