The Q&A Archives: Controlling Ants

Question: I have just moved into a house where a garden was planted about six months ago. Unfortunately it was not taken care of very well. We just finished weeding the garden which took a very long time. I noticed that now the flowers are now starting to bloom. There has been adequate rain now and the earth is rich. Unfortunately the plants seems to be covered with a lot of small garden snails. How do you suggest that I get rid of them? In addition there are also ants. I even found in the corner of thegarden a HUGE ant farm, what shall I do? I really want to start taking care of the garden and enjoy it. Help!!! Shari Wright Reut, Israel

Answer: If is the beginning of a dry season in Israel, I wouldn't worry about the snails. They need moisture to thrive and should not cause problems in your garden. If it stays wet, then you might consider spreading crushed egg shells and sharp sand around the plants to prevent them from crawling to them. The ants may be a problem depending on the type of ants. You can spread boric acid around the mound to try to kill them or break it up with a shovel, but I'd check first with an Agricultural agent about the type of ants and whether this is dangerous.