The Q&A Archives: Euryops Turning Gray After Trim

Question: I planted six euryops last week in a good sunny location. I deadheaded 3 of them after the flowers died, by trimming the tops of the plants.The other 3 still have good flowers but the trimmed plants are turning gray and withering. The nights here have been cold @ 40 degrees. Question! Will they revive? What are the rules for caring for these plants here?

Answer: Euryops are shrubby evergreen perennials and the spent flowers should be trimmed back to prolong bloom. I suspect that your plants are just going through an adjustment period since they've only recently been planted in your garden. Continue to cut off the spent flowers, and cut back the dead stems as they appear. Your plants should survive the winter without problem but won't really begin to replace the lost stems until the weather warms in the spring. The only other consideration in longevity is to provide quick-draining soil so the roots of the plants don't become waterlogged. Euryops get along with very little water once they're established. Give your plants some time to adjust and they should be just fine.