The Q&A Archives: Some Small Multi-Stemmed Trees

Question: I would like know of a tree that has a birch clump type growth habit but does not grow over 6-7 feet. I want to replace an evergreen tree/shrub that is at the corner of my house by the garage sitting partly under the eaves. I have a small ranch type house and want something that is does not require alot of care and has an open framework. This side of the house faces west and the sun beats on it in the afternoon. There is some shade from the canopy of an enormous water maple (bad yard tree, I know). M. Stamper Lexington, KY

Answer: A nice multi-stemmed small tree to grow that produces attractive bark and white flowers is Amelanchier (Shad bush). It grows to 10 feet tall and should do fine in your area. Check your local nurseries for this tree. If you want something shorter, try a viburnum.