The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Termites

Question: I just found out that we have termites on our property, and I was wondering if you can help us choose the safest pesticide to be used when plants that bear fruits are near. Against the fence about 5 feet away from the house is a large raspberry bush. I am sure that the roots go right up to the house and am afraid that the pesticides might make the fruit dangerous to eat. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or if this is not a problem. Thank you. Jonathan Bellmore, NY

Answer: Termites can be difficult to get rid of safely. There is a product called Bora-Care that uses boric acid to kill them. As long as it stays in the wood, it won't move to the soil on its own and shouldn't affect your raspberries. It's probably the least toxic way to get rid of them. Bora-Care is available through, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply P.O. Box 2209 Grass Valley, CA 95945 916-272-4769