The Q&A Archives: Why Iris Change Color

Question: I have many Iris' that used to be a beautiful shade lavender/purple two years ago they began to change to a dark burgundy/maroon color. The flowers themselves are still beautiful and healthy, but I don't enjoy them as much. Is there a reason? Looking forward to your reply. I'll do anything to get them back... Karen Fugelo King of Prussia, PA

Answer: I have heard of this color change happening to iris before, but I'm not sure what the cause is. A friend moved and took her iris with her, having the same color change happen. But in your case, you're still gardening in the same location. Perhaps more shade from growing trrees nearby or a cloudy spring? You could try to give the irises some phosphate fertilizer for general health, but I can't imagine why that would influence color change. Sorry I couldn't help further.