The Q&A Archives: Endangering Pink Ladyslipper

Question: Last spring we had around 10 bunches of pink ladyslipper growing in our wooded back yard. This year we haven't seen hide nor hair of any. I was wondering if there could have been something we did to contribute to the loss of these beautiful flowers.They were an endangered species, according to a good friend of mine, and I would hate to have caused them to become even more endangered. I know nothing about these flowers, so any information at all would be much appreciated. David Ginn Alpharetta, GA

Answer: Pink Ladyslipper is a member of the orchid family and what an amazing flower! The roots and a soil fungus have a symbiotic relationship. This helps the plant absorb nutrients from poor they are difficult to transplant without that specific fungus! Did you have a drought last year? That may have contributed to their disappearance. Could someone have dug them up or could some animal have helped themselves. I know squirrels can be pretty destructive. Did you in any way change the environment at their site...cut down a tree....dump grass clippings....add soil? These kinds of activities would change their site.