The Q&A Archives: Lotus Blossoms

Question: I would like to know the specific chemistry necessary to make lotus's bloom in southheast Louisiana. I am not having any trouble growing the plant but am not getting any flowers? What type of planting media should I be using or fertilization?

Answer: In my experience the only real requirement that the lotus is truly picky about is sunshine. They need plenty of sunlight! (Think of the Taj Mahal and imagine the water garden in the reflecting pool there. Lotus bloom prolifically in that setting.) In my experience regular feeding with any fertilizer recommended for waterlilies along with a supplemental source of micronutrients for pond plants has been adequate. It is also possible, if the lotus is in a pot, that it needs to be divided. These plants have wide ranging roots and will quickly fill their allotted space.