The Q&A Archives: Curling Leaves On Pepper Plants

Question: I had a good grop of peppers this year and decided to take one plant indoors for the winter to grow more peppers(Bell). The plant seems to be doing well in the new pot(for about a month now). But it seems to have some of its leaves curling. There are many new flowers and it gets 24 hrs of light(artificial). I also feed the plant with some fetilizer. I would like to find out what may be causing the leaves to curl.

Answer: I would look very closely for any sign of insect activity, as well as for signs of overwatering. It is very easy for an insect population to grow quickly under indoor conditions. It is also very easy to overwater a potted plant when it has been potted only recently. Be sure, too, that you are using a water soluble fertilizer "with minors" and are following the label instructions for dilution and application. Incidently, I would also suggest that you allow the plant some hours to rest and complete its natural internal cycle. Although it would seem at first thought that 24 hour a day lighting should be a good thing, it is not. Sixteen hours of light should be sufficient.