The Q&A Archives: Transfer Shocked Peppers Plants

Question: I suspect my pepper plants may have suffered transplant shock; it is on the first set of leaves and it never got on the next set of leaves and does not show any signs of it coming. What is happening to plants when this shock takes place? Will it evergo away on those first set of leaves? Would it hurt to remove the first set of leaves when the next bunch of leaves are established? I did bleach a new set of pots and transplanted them into a Jiffy Mix. So far no sign of any more bad looking plants. I'm getting ready to move them down into my basement where it is cooler to finish them out. When is the proper time to fertilize them? Thanks for the help George

Answer: I'm glad we figured your pepper problem out. Yes, you can remove those "shocked" leaves as soon as new leaves are growing. The "shocked" leaves will never recover. Fertilize the plants while still indoors with a seaweed mix or a diluted complete fertilizer such as Miracle Gro once every week or so. after that fertilize when you set them out with compost and/or granular organic fertilizer and them again at first flowering.