The Q&A Archives: Cutting Back Large Jade Plant

Question: I have a 10yr old Jade plant and am looking to cut it back The trunk is large but the branches are very small and skinny.I am looking to make this plant bushy and am not sure how to do this.

Answer: While you can certainly trim it back to encourage branching and then pinch the tips of the new growth to encourage even more branching, you might also consider checking on its growing conditions. The plant tends to take on a bit of a bonsai form as it ages and while some consider that one of its charms, others would prefer the form and habit of a younger plant and for this reason will start new plants periodically using cuttings from the original. Bright sunlight is probably most important in encouraging sturdy growth, followed by an occasional repotting and perhaps feeding with a fertilizer formulated for either houseplans or tomatoes.