The Q&A Archives: Help My Sprengeri Fern

Question: I have a Sprengeri fern that not doing real good, the leaves are falling off and leaving nothing but a skinny green stalk and the leaves are turning yellow also I have been keeping it in the bathroom for the humitiy and the soil is kept moist with water and I fertilize once a week. Maybe you know something I don't.

Answer: Based on your description I'm not sure what the problem may be, however this plant usually does well in bright to medium light and just average humidity. It should be watered thoroughly and then allowed to go a bit dry so you may be overwatering it. Sometimes however this plant becomes very rootbound and difficult to water as a result. If this is the case you could repot it or for the time being simply try soaking the roots by immersing the pot in water until the soil is saturated. Finally, be sure that you are not fertilizing it more than indicated on the fertilizer instructions as this can be harmful. I hope this helps you figure out what the problem is.