The Q&A Archives: Cannas

Question: I have had cannas in my garden for the last 2 years. They come up and have beautiful foliage, but have never blossomed. I take them up in the fall, store them in a cool dry place. What am I doing wrong, and what can I try to get them to bloom?

Answer: Cannas bloom best when grown in a warm suuny location with full sun, plenty of water and a good rich fertile soil. You might try amending the soil with well-rotted manure and/or lots of compost and fertilizing regularly with a balanced fertilizer according to the label instructions. Keep the soil evenly moist throughout the growing season. You might also try giving them a jump start on the season by planting them in pots so that they are already in active growth when the soil warms up enough to plant them out.