The Q&A Archives: Alternate Reference For Fruits And Berries

Question: I have just moved to a new house which has approximately 3 acres of open land. Next spring I plan to begin planting an orchard with peaches, plums, cherries, asian pears, apples, persimmon, paw paw, hazlenuts, almonds, walnuts, grapes, bluberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I scanned through past question and answers and saw your reference to

"Backyard Fruits & Berries" by Diane E. Bilderback & Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
(Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA; ISBN# 0-87857-509-X).

However, when I tried to order this book I found that it was out of print. Do you know how I can obtain a copy of this book, or know a good reference to an alternate book(s) which will provide essential information about growing fruits, nuts, and berries - (keeping in mind that I am an avid gardener but I am new to the orchard business).

Answer: Sometimes second-hand book stores can obtain copies of out of print books. An alternate suggestion is Taylor's Guide to Fruits and Berries, Houghton Mifflin publishers, ISBN# 0-395-71086-3.

Good luck with your new orchard!