The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis Leaves Dying

Question: I bought a amarylllis plant a couple of weeks ago and it was doing well and growing until a couple of days ago when one of it's leaves turned yellow and then died. Now the rest of them are doing it. What am I doing wrong? I know I'm not over watering it. It only has about 3 leaves on it and is about 8 weeks old.

Answer: Usually the foliage yellows when the bulb is going into dormancy due to water being withheld, so perhaps you are not watering it enough? The soil should be moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet but not dusty dry, either. Usually the plant will be started as a bare bulb, send up a bloom stem and some foliage, then be grown as a foliage plant until the following fall when it is set into dormancy. Finally it is brought back into active growth after an 8 to 10 week "rest". Based on your description I am not sure which stage of growth your bulb is in, so it's a bit tough to make a definite guess. Another possibility is that your plant is "off schedule" somehow.