The Q&A Archives: Top Broken Off Weeping Birch And Sugarmaple

Question: Due to a severe ice storm two years ago i lost the top one third of a weeping birch tree that is 20 years old.I Also had damage to a 15 year old sugarmaple in the same way. The maple has developed a 2 foot long sucker at about the general area where the top broke off, is it possible for the sucker to become an apropriate leader? As for the birch, it looks about the same after two years of growth .How can I get a new leader started on that?THANK YOU

Answer: Since these are rather large and relatively mature trees it would be very difficult (and dangerous) for a homeowner to try to influence their growth. I would suggest you consult with a true, profesionally trained arborist about the condition of your trees and see if any corrective pruning is needed or even possible. Good luck with your trees.