The Q&A Archives: Let German Iris Go To Seed

Question: I have a very small perennnial flower garden with a couple of German Iris plants. Rather than deadheading one of the blooms, I let it go to seed. Will this particular plant flower next summer? Also, can you grow an Iris from seed?

Answer: Although most serious gardeners will deadhead their perennials such as the iris immediately after flowering in order to preserve the plant's energy and keep the garden tidy, many perennials will manage just fine without the special care. Healthy iris should bloom just fine with or without deadheading, although they may grow or increase a bit less vigorously than they would have if deadheaded. If the plant sets seed and the seed falls in place, you may even find baby iris seedlings the following summer. These seedlings may or may not produce blooms similar to their parents, however. It's sometimes fun to see what they turn out to be though.