The Q&A Archives: Replacin Grass with Clover

Question: I have a steep hill that has a Kentucky blue/Fescue mix on it now and it grows very long! It's 99 ft. long and 120 ft wide and I'm trying to replant/replace with a white clover so I won't have to mow! What is the best way to accomplish this end andhow long should it take? Thank you. Perry Mealey Minneapolis, MN

Answer: You can plant the clover in your bank two ways; the complete replacement way or gradually. To completely redo the bank, spray an herbicide to kill the lawn grass and then about one month later break up the sod and plant clover throughout the whole area. The only problem with this method is erosion may happen while you wait for the clover to get established so you may need to lay down some mesh netting to hold the seed and soil until they start growing. The gradual method is to dig out clumps of the grass every few feet or so, seed the clover in those areas and let it naturally start taking over. The clover is more aggressive than the lawn grasses and will eventually fill the whole area. You might also consider crownvetch as a crop to use in that situation.